ITACA Stream is ProService’s answer to late in-stream inoculation equipment. Suitable for both new installations and to replace existing inoculators. As part of the ITACA Family, it is integrable with ITACA Vision and ITACA X.
ITACA Stream is a high-precision system for in-stream late inoculation, to add a controlled amount of inoculant into the iron flow during the pouring of the mould, equipped with a stepper motor dedicated to pipe rotation. Every step of the motor makes the pipe move 0.038 mm (considering 1 m pipe). It can be easily installed.
Some of the main Benefits and Features
- Minimizing inoculant wastage
- Controlling of the inoculant dosing stream into the iron flow
- Exceptional reliability with minimized maintenance and downtime
- Dynamic dosing of the inoculant with regard to the nucleation level of the iron in the pouring furnace
- Single or dual configuration with single or dual inoculant feed hoppers.
- Inoculant flow integrated with the pouring flow control
ITACA STREAM and ITACA STREAM DUAL
Two versions, single screw or dual system, equipped with two hoppers and two independent dosing systems, with 1 rotating pipe.
ITACA Stream Dual has been developed for those foundries with specific inoculation requirements. In addition to all the features of the single unit, the Dual version is equipped with two independent dosing units, connected to two independent removable hoppers. The quick changeover between first and second dosing units (between molds) avoids having to stop the pouring line when the foundry changes from one product to the next, which requires a different inoculant. It also gives the possibility to continue the production when one unit blocks, using the second independent dosing unit.
ITACA Stream is engineered thinking for a unique dosage application
It can use two different feed screws:
1- from 0,8 g/s to 25 g/s
2- from 12 g/s to 82 g/s
If the customer requires an extremely wide range of dosing flowrates (i.e. from 1g/s to 80g/s) the solution is ITACA Stream Dual, with two feed screws (type 1 and 2). Type 1 will work for the casting with a low flowrate, and type 2 for a higher flowrate.
If the application is within the working range of type 2 screw, there are two possibilities:
– ITACA Stream: Single feed screw, with pipe rotation motor. No redundancy in case of issues on the screw.
– ITACA Stream Dual: Two feed screws, with pipe rotation motor. Redundancy: in case one feed screw is blocked, the 2nd screw starts. It is difficult to break a feed screw mechanism because it is fitted with torque control that automatically stops the motor when the torque goes over a specified value
PIPE ROTATION: THE ONLY “SNIPER” IN THE MARKET
Almost nobody realizes the importance of the misalignment between iron and inoculant flows and the effects thereof on casting defects and inoculant waste. Even if detected (by the operator looking at the iron flow), it’s a mystery how they can be expected to correctly align the pipe (usually with a hammer) with the required accuracy.
ITACA Stream completely negates this crucial necessity. It is equipped with a dedicated pipe-rotating stepper motor.
The movement can be performed manually by the operator (by pushing a button) or in automatically, via the connection with ITACA Vision. It consistently keeps the iron and inoculant flows perfectly aligned, with small automated adjustments from one pour to the next.
PROSERVICE DYNAMIC INOCULATION
ITACA Stream can be installed as a stand-alone unit, ensuring important advantages compared to traditional machines as described above, but it’s peak performance is obtained when it is integrated with ITACA Vision and ITACA X.
When ITACA Stream and ITACA Vision work together, any inaccuracy relating to the misalignment instantly disappears. The inoculant feed pipe will always be perfectly centered with the iron flow.
When ITACA Stream is connected with ITACA X, it dynamically takes control of dosing the correct amount of inoculant as a function of the real nucleation status of the molten iron and within the acceptability ranges established for the particular casting actually in production.
DYNAMIC CONTROL OF THE INOCULANT DISPERSION PATTEN ACCORDING TO FLOW RATE
ITACA Stream adjusts the air pressure in the shot “gun” in relation to the flowrate and the inoculant type, (grain roundness, granulometric distribution, specific weight) in order to consistently ensure a constant dispersion pattern.
Without this control, lowering the inoculation flowrate but keeping the air pressure constant, (very few foundries manually adjust it) the dispersion pattern will be wider and this happens to all traditional inoculation devices in the market.
With dynamic air pressure control: ITACA Stream automatically adjusts the air pressure, according to the flowrate in use.
This solution permits a constant and reliable inoculation and it is possible to monitor the geometry of the flow.
DYNAMIC FLOWRATE ADJUSTMENT WITH REAL POURING TIME
Connection with pouring systems for synchronization with stopper, stop of the line and automatic management of the inoculant flowrate in the function of the real pouring time.
The inoculation needs to be a precise percentage of the casting weight, as pouring time can change, working with a fixed flowrate can lead to miss dosing.
ITACA Stream offers the possibility to recalculate the flowrate for each new pouring, based on the real pouring time.
- The dosing unit is removable without tools in less than 60 seconds to minimize down-time and loss of production;
- An automated cooling system with continuous monitoring and controlling of the internal temperature of ITACA Stream unit;
- A pneumatic system to control the main connecting valve between the hopper and the dosing system: it is important to avoid loss of inoculant during the tilting of the pouring unit while changing inoculant types with “Quick Inoculant Switch”;
- Unaffected by electromagnetic noise;
- Removable hoppers available in two sizes, 22 lt or 50 lt (only for ITACA Stream single system);
- Compatible with both modern and older pouring systems;
- Small sizes, adaptable to areas where space is restricted;
- Communicates with PLC’s via PROFINET to receive the required information (like the stopper movements).
PROSERVICETECH DYNAMIC INOCULATION
ITACA Stream can be installed as a stand-alone unit, ensuring important advantages compared to a traditional in-stream machine, but the best performances are reached when it is connected to ITACA Vision and ITACA X.